Most of us know about the beauty benefits of honey, but did you know that honey is an effective ingredient for weight loss? According to research, you could drop a dress size in about three weeks, simply by taking a spoonful of honey before bed. Sounds too good to be true? Here’s why honey works well for weight loss.
What is the honey diet?
Founder of the honey diet, Mike McInnes, discovered that athletes who ate foods rich in fructose such as honey burnt a lot more fats and had increased stamina levels as well. Honey acts as a fuel to make the liver produce glucose. This glucose keeps the brain sugar levels high and forces it to release fat burning hormones.
To benefit from the honey diet, simply replace your sugar intake with honey, throughout the day. In addition to that you should consume three spoonfuls of honey with hot water every night before bed. Combine this with an exercise regime (try and exercise three times a week) and you will notice a sizeable drop in your weight. The study showed that the mechanism in the brain that caused the sugar craving could be shut down completely with this honey routine.
How it works?
According to McInnes, most of us struggle to lose weight because we consume too much sugar and processed food. When we consume honey before bed, the body begins to burn more fat during those early hours of sleep. When you go a step further and replace all refined sugar from your diet with honey, you rebalance the brain signal that compels you to consume more sweet stuff.
The results noticed from the honey diet have been remarkable. But remember to keep these points in mind:
- Replace all sugar with honey: Cut out sugar from your diet. This means you will also have to give up on artificial sweeteners. Use honey in your tea, coffee and cereal instead of refined sugar. Keep a check on what you cook too, so that you don’t use sugar in there either.
- Skip junk food: Junk foods are processed food that contains empty calories. To fully benefit from the honey diet, stop eating junk food.
- Opt for unrefined carbs: Refined white flour in white pasta and white rice may cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Opt for wholemeal flour instead as they are good for digestion and will keep you fuller for a longer time.
- Consume Proteins: Keep your proteins lean but make sure you consume proteins with every meal as it will keep you full and also avoid a blood sugar rise that leads to cravings.
- Be careful with your fruits: Fruits are a convenient option while dieting but remember that most fruits are high in sugar levels and can hamper your honey diet. Either reduce your fruit intake or opt for low-carb fruits like berries and rhubarb.
- No potatoes: Any form of potato can cause your body’s insulin level to rise. The honey diet requires you to avoid eating potatoes.