How to wear Marathi Saree to uphold your traditional vibes?
The Marathi saree is no stranger to the people of Maharashtra who love their customary Indian attire. They drape the saree in a unique way called the ‘Marathi’ style saree. It highlights their rustic charm since most women here usually work wearing one. Owing to its uniqueness, time and again it has defined femininity for women in the Bollywood film industry portraying women of the Western India- namely when portraying females of the states of Mumbai and Pune.
A Paithani saree is always the first choice when you go to shop. A matching blouse would set the traditional aura around you straight even better. The best way to describe how to wear a saree in Marathi style like the Maharashtra women do is to highlight on their conventional steps right from the start to the end of the pallu.
1. Remember, unlike other saree styles, petticoats find no use when it comes to the Marathi saree wearing style. Make use of cycling shorts to tuck in the upper ends of the saree. Put it on.
2. First, grab on to the end of the saree away from the pallu, while leaving out around a yard or so. Start off with draping between the ends you’re holding. Keep the rest of the saree cringe-free with the other hand.
3. Since the saree involves leaving out a lot of movement spaces by the side of the legs, there are chances of wardrobe malfunction. Minimize the risk by just making a double knot in the saree cloth anywhere around the waist.
4. Take the shorter end of the saree and start putting a fold by pulling it through your thigh gap- that is between the legs. Tuck and secure it at the back.
5. Grab the longer end at this point and initiate by making somewhere around five to six pleats. Do remember that the number of pleats that you can successfully go on with, entirely depends on how long the portion of the saree you bought is. The saree usually is long enough for around six pleats- the standard size. Once done, cleverly tuck in the pleats behind the waist.
6. The saree should always be one inch above where you stand. Make necessary adjustments with your outfit if it is not at the desired height. Anywhere higher or lower could spoil the ultimate outlook of how you wear the Marathi saree.
7. Try putting on footwear to get on with the length adjustments faster and without hassle.
8. The final step to the Marathi style wearing saree is the definitive four to five pleats that work on well in covering up the entire pallu. Once you reach the end of all steps, bring out the final pallu to the left side of your shoulder. Do remember the rest of the saree is already wrapped around you. You just pin the saree up with your blouse and you are done!
Like you know by now, how to wear the saree in Marathi style isn’t too hard- especially if you are a first timer and have no traditional Maharashtrian around to help you. The key to looking your gorgeous best when you step out is to team up your appearance with the right kind of accessories- jewelry, bindi and a subtle hint of kajal and nose pin should do the trick. Also, to look even more traditional, wear a green bangle set on your hand- the Marathi women consider it to be lucky for auspicious occasions and often make the brides wear it on their big day of marriage.