While the monsoon is not really an ideal time to cycle, don’t let the potholes, muck and wet roads get you down. Take advantage of the dry spells that the city often experiences between bouts of heavy rain and cycle away to good health. Invest in a good bicycle, helmet, gloves (optional) and keep aside some time every week to take off — you’ll fall in love with cycling before you know it. While it is far fetched to expect an empty rood sans any potholes in a city like Mumbai, there are still plenty of remarkably clear roads where you can cycle. Here are some of the benefits of this exercise.
- Cycling doesn’t just offer physical benefits but is also an excellent tool to help you clear your mind. Several health experts say that it is a great way to unwind and exercise at the same time. It also helps improve your reflexes, balance and co-ordination.
- It is also one of the best ways to burn fat. Because it increases heart rate, cycling helps burn fat faster. Studies say that simply cycling at a moderate to fast speed for 30 minutes can help your body burn calories for a hour or so even after you stop.
- Having trouble falling asleep? Several studies reckon that cycling regularly actually improves your sleep. We know that lack of sleep can have a detrimental impact on your overall health, which is why if you suffer from insomnia especially, you should take up cycling. Cycling often is said to aid falling asleep faster and also help you sleep better.
- Give yourself a thorough workout with cycling, which also helps improve your cardiovascular health. This exercise has a positive impact on your heart and lungs because it helps improve blood flow and the speed at which oxygen is passed around in your body.
- After some time you will realise that cycling improves your stamina and your overall fitness levels. Some studies have stated that people who cycle 30 kms or more per week, have a lower chance of heart disease.
- Being a non-load-bearing exercise, cycling has a minimal risk of injury unless you lose your balance. With lesser pressure applied to your joints, they aren’t bearing the brunt that other exercises can cause. Instead,
- Yet another advantage of cycling is that it is a non-load bearing, low impact form of exercise, and an excellent way to tone your legs and toughen your tendons.
- Lastly, an increasing number of experts say that cycling is an effective way to relieve stress, improve brain function and well-being.