Be it the need for power, position, money or simply greed, office politics can crop in any form and can create havoc in your life if not dealt well.
Let’s face it office politics is everywhere and no one can escape for its vicious clutches. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t fight it or stand up against it. One has to deal these things calmly and diplomatically. So here are few tips that will help you stand against these office politics and still be loved by all.
1. Acceptance: A war is half won when you accept and acknowledge it. If you are being involved or dragged in office politics, firstly accept and acknowledge it. Then start analyzing who are the root cause for them and how can they be dealt with. Be aware that after this point too, you have a chance to either face it and fight against it or simply leave it.
2. Don’t take sides: We fall in major problems when we start taking sides. It’s good to have opinions but never under any circumstances take sides as it will ruin everything. When you find yourself caught in a situation like this then focus on your business objectives and don’t take side with either of them. Place them on a common communication platform and ensure open communications among all parties so that no one can claim that they didn’t utter those words.
3. Don’t get personal: There will be times when a colleague messes up with your happiness and you just want to give them a piece of your mind. Do not do that. This will not only make you look bad in front of your boss’s eyes but will also make space for more rivalry. People tend to remember about the insults and arguments meted against them even though for you it was just a matter that you chose not to give enough importance.
4. No angry mails: Before sending any correspondences via email think through it a hundred times. Though in anger you might feel you are doing the right thing but to never known when the same mail might be used against you to demean you or make you the bad person in front of all. Same goes for social media posts too. Be extremely careful.
5. Know the real culprit: Know who the trouble maker is and always maintain a safe distance from that person and if you can make peace with that person nothing better than that.